Wednesday 21 May 2014

My romance with Kate Henshaw -Benedict Johnson


Kate & Benedict
The Nigerian movie industry also known as Nollywood is unarguably one of the biggest employers of labour in Nigeria right now. It is also rated the second biggest film producing nation globally.  
Despite these glowing attributes, Nollywood also has its own fair share of controversies and scandals.
Recently, our correspondent caught up with one of the leading actors, Benedict Johnson and took him up on several issues, especially those revolving around his private and public lives.
Let’s meet you
My name is Benedict Johnson Obiaku. I’m from Imo State, Isu to be precise. I’m from a family of nine, the fourth born and also the fourth boy. The boys came first. Mum and dad are late.

How was growing up for you?
Well my growing up was kind of mixed because I grew up in different places. My primary and secondary schools were in Warri, Delta State, while my university was in Abia State. I studied Mass Communication in Abia State University. I am currently an actor.

When and how did you start acting?
I started acting in 2002. What actually brought me to Lagos was music. Someone invited me to Lagos to help me with my music career. But when I came to Lagos, it was a different story because the guy was not forthcoming with anything. It was quite disappointing. So I was just in my brother’s house doing nothing. A friend came one day to tell me there were auditioning for a movie going on somewhere and asked if I was interested. I decided to go with him basically to while away time and look around. When we got to the audition venue, I was just sitting on my own, very shy to mix up when the director spotted me and asked if I wasn’t there for the auditioning. I said no but he asked me to come and read all the same. When I did, the panel members were all impressed and commented my good command of English. That was how 1 was casted for a role in that movie and that began my sojourn into Nollywood. From there I started going from one audition to the other and getting roles.

So is it right to say that boredom pushed you into acting? Did you have any flair for acting prior to this time?
Well if you ask me, I’ll say we are all actors in this life. Everyone is an actor one way or the other, but when you are now trained, you become a professional actor. While growing up, I was a mixture of so many characters. I was a very stubborn boy while growing, so asking me to portray a stubborn person in a movie didn’t need much hard work from me. I only had to exhibit what was already in me. Basically, I wouldn’t really say boredom. I just believe that is how God wants it.

Can you remember your very first movie and your most challenging role?
Yeah, my very first movie was Genesis of Love. The movie starred Stephanie Okereke, Emeka Enyiocha and Desmond Elliot. I was casted as Emeka Enyiocha’s twin brother and we were fighting for the love of Stephanie. The movie that brought me to limelight I could say was Stolen Bible. Another one was One Chance, where I played a character called Idumota. And there was Forty Days and Forty Nights. As a matter of fact, the producer of that movie called me recently to get ready because they will be shooting the continuation of it due to demand from people. Another very challenging one was a movie entitled Painful World, where I played the role of an epileptic patient.

So is there any female actress you have a crush on?
[Laughs] Well, I won’t say crush but I have some female actresses I get along with quite well. Like Ini Edo, Kate Henshaw, Chika Ike and Mercy Johnson, they are my close friends.

Well that brings us to the question of if you dated Mercy Johnson truly as claimed by many of your colleagues and the media.
Please not again. Well, I will say no. She’s just a very close friend.

How close are you?
You know we share the same name Johnson. Then we did a whole lot of movies together, and we were very close to each other. I know her siblings, she knows mine too. Just friends. Again, she’s married now so it won’t be nice discussing our past dealings together.

So which female actress have you dated before?
[Laughing] Why are you doing this to me? You want to cause trouble right? Is that why you left Nollywood to join journalism? Please Maureen don’t dig deep.

Just kindly answer the question, it won’t hurt.
[Laughing] I’ve dated Kate Henshaw in the past. Are you satisfied now? Pls, don’t ask me for details, because I wouldn’t want to say more on our affair.

So what is your marital status?
I am married. I have a family. I have two beautiful daughters. They live in America with their mother.

Apart from acting, what else do you do?
I try to diversify. I do other businesses that can enable me take care of my problems. Whenever I travel to the United States, I try to see what and what I can buy to sell in Nigeria especially cars. I buy cars and give to car dealers to sell for me.

If not acting, what do you think you would have been doing?
I would have loved to be a football coach because I love football so much. While I was in school, I played football. I mean serious football. I represented my school those days.

Going back to Nollywood now, you’ve been there for about 12 years, how will you rate it?
I think Nollywood is progressing because if you look back, you will realize that this whole thing started like child’s play. But see where we are now. Before now, actors were tagged never do wells. I’ve realized one thing from my travelling around the world, Nollywood is recognized all over the world. So far you know things about Africa, you must know about Nollywood. Not just Africans but Asians, even Jamaicans. I was somewhere in New Jersey and I met a Jamaican guy that told me how his mother loves watching Nigerian movies and how she likes my movies. I was marveled. When the mother eventually came she was shouting in Patois how she had watched and loved me in movies especially Forty Days In The Wilderness.
Our movies have travelled far and wide. Everywhere all over the world they know Nigeria’s culture through our movies. This is why I think the Government should come in to support Nollywood. Because people all over the world can only know about Nigeria through our movies that they watch even without coming to Nigeria. Just like most Nigerians have not travelled to the US but know so much about the country through their movies. I sincerely feel Government should look very deep into the Nigerian movie industry, there is a whole lot for Government to tap from. This industry is capable of changing the mindset of people about Nigeria. There’s so much joblessness in Nigeria now, the youths can be ably employed and empowered through Nollywood. All they need do is put so many infrastructures on ground.
There is this other angle. If you are an actor, you can never be an armed robber or be involved in something shady because you are already exposed to the world. As an actor your life and movement are somehow in the public domain. If our youths who are interested are gainfully employed in Nollywood, they will find it difficult to engage in crimes and other social vices. The Government needs to put in more money in Nollywood.

Do you have plans of producing or directing your own movies?
Well, currently I really don’t have any plans of directing movies. But in two months time, I’ll be travelling out to study film making for about six months. I want to go deeper into movie making. I’m going to where they have more professionals to teach me more. And in future I intend to give back. You know when you are acting alone, you are earning money for yourself but when you produce you are paying people so it’s kind of giving back. As a matter of fact, there is one I shot in the US but not yet released. So I’m still working on how to push it into the market.

There was this scandal about you being a gay in the past?
[Laughs] People that know me well are aware I am not a gay. So when I hear such things I just laugh. I disgust that. Even in the bible gay was the main reason God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah so why would I be involved in such thing? I am a Christian. Gay is one sin that God cannot forgive easily. Why on earth would I leave a woman that God have perfectly made for a man and indulge in sexual acts with a man like me? I really don’t know what prompted that nonsense rumour but it never hurt me because I was not gay and I’m still not one.

What is your philosophy of life?
Live and let live. I like good people around me.

Are there things you think people don’t know about you that you want them to know through this medium?
I am a very simple and down to earth person. Very jovial, I like mixing with people. I have a whole lot of friends and I keep my friends. People might watch my movies and think I might be difficult to interact with. The truth is that I am a very friendly and accommodating person.

Are you a Christian?
Yes I am a very good Christian. I don’t joke with God. I am someone that fears God. In fact, if there is anywhere you can catch me, it is in the house of God. I make sure I go to the house of God three to four times in a week.

Any words for your fans?
I want to tell them to believe in God because nothing is impossible with Him. Also have courage and trust in yourself.
Some people coming into the movie industry especially the ladies must not believe that you have to sleep your way to the top. If you are talented, there are good people who will give you jobs based on merit. If you come into the movie industry believing in God and yourself and also knowing you have something to offer then you can make it.

Culled: EE

No comments:

Post a Comment