Thursday 24 June 2021

Stop a lonely life, associate with your kingsmen, Elder Akpaetok advices Akwa Ibomite in Lagos

 

R-L: President General, Uyo Senatorial District, Lagos State, Chief Matthew Udoheyop, Mrs Imaobong Akpaetok, daughter of the celebrant, Elder Etim Ebong Akpaetok, the celebrant and Secretary General, USD, Lagos, Akparawa Uwem Idaha during the ceremony

Hail from Ikot Obong in Ibiono Ibom Local Government Area, Akwa Ibom State, Elder Etim Ebong Akpaetok came to Lagos in March 28, 1968 at a very young age of 14. Now a proud grand father, ready to return to his motherland (his state); Uyo Senatorial District (USD), Lagos State Chapter, an association where he is a pioneer registered member, recently organised a send forth ceremony for him. During the ceremony, Elder Akpaetok tells a brief story of his journey and experiences in Lagos. Below are the excerpts as captured by JOSEPH OSOM, Media Officer, USD, Lagos State. Enjoy!

 Can we meet you sir?

My names are Etim Ebong Akpaetok.  

Where are you from in Akwa Ibom State?

I am a native of Ikot Obong in Ibiono Ibom Local Government Area, Akwa Ibom State.

As a committed and strong stakeholder in Uyo Senatorial District (USD), Lagos chapter, what can say about the association?

Uyo Senatorial District Lagos chapter is a great organization which every sons and daughters from that senatorial district should associate with. It is a place of purpose, love, togetherness and unity. It is my prayer that God will continue to uphold and strengthen the leadership of USD Lagos to continue the good work.

USD Lagos is sending you forth and celebrating you today for your immense contributions to the success story of the association. How does that make you feel?

My heart is overwhelm with joy and excitement for this great honour, celebration, it is one of it kind, first in the history of any organization that I belong to since I came to Lagos, that an organization like will do this to her member. I am happy that I am recognized and celebrated for a little I have contributed in USD Lagos.

The cash welfare package, what can you say about it?

This is evidence that, our President General, Chief Matthew Udoheyop is a talk and do leader, he said it and he did it. This is very rare in other places, but here, it is real. I am happy and I really appreciate it. It is my prayers that this positive gestures, things of joy and gladness in USD Lagos will continue even after my relocating to the state (Akwa Ibom), so that members will be encouraged to contribute their best, knowing fully well that, when they are relocating, they will be celebrated as well. And I must say this, I will not withdraw my membership, even after the send forth, I will continue to be a member. May God continue to bless our PG, executive councils and all the members for honouring me, may them continue to grow from strength to strength.

Can you please tell us when you came to Lagos?

I came to Lagos in March 28, 1968

(cut in) That is about how many years now have you spent here?

This is my 53 years in Lagos.

Staying for this long as a non-indigene in Lagos, can you recount your experiences?

I came to Lagos at a very tender age, let say 14 years through some one, who promised to send me to school and to do this and that for me, but he didn’t fulfill all those promises, but later told me to learn a skill. He later asked me what type of skill would I want to learn, I told him, I will prefer Mechanical Electronics or Electricals, he said to me, no, you can’t go for those, because in your village there is no electricity, as such your choice of skill may not fly. So after he has successfully convinced and confused me, he now suggested tailoring (Fashion designing) for me, of which I accepted and went throw it and as I speak today, I am a fashion designer to the glory of God.

Lagos is a nice place to be, every tribe in Nigeria is in Lagos, if you know yourself, where you came from, your background, the purpose of leaving your village and be focused, not engaging in crime or bad behavior and God on your side, Lagos will treat you well. You can achieve whatever you want here, everything depends on the person involved; but if you misbehave, you will see the results, nobody will tell you.

Can you really say you are fulfilled looking back?

Of course yes, like I told you before, I came to this Lagos at a very tender age of 14 years, but looking back, at least I am about 67 years old now, I’m married though my wife is late now, may God continue to bless her soul, I have children and grandchildren to the glory of God. I came to Lagos with my legs and I am going back to my motherland and kindred with my two legs, very strong, hale and hearty all to the glory of God. May His name be praised fore evermore. My brother, there is nothing as fulfilled as this. I am very happy.

Sir, what advise can you give to Akwa Ibomite who are still here in Lagos or might want to leave home to anywhere in Nigeria especially Lagos?

Stop living a lonely life as if you don't have where you came from. Associate with your kingsmen, identify a community of your people, get registered and be active. Again my advise to them are, anywhere you found yourself, believe in yourself, be obedient and respectful to people around you. Shun evil companion and hold God tight knowing fully well that without Him, you will amount to nothing. Know why you are where you are, have a purpose for your life, do not join bad gangs, always remember that you are an ambassador of Akwa Ibom State wherever you are, do not dint your image, that of your parents and our dear state; at the appointed time, God’s will in your life will be revealed and fulfilled so that after your sojourn here in a strange-land you will reasons to say God I thank you and that same God will bring you back to your motherland hale and hearty as He did to me.

As PG rightly stated in his speech that you are the one who composed the USD Lagos anthem, this single contribution has written your name in a golden pen in the association, how does this make you feel?

I feel very great, it is the Lord’s doing, no man can do anything except God give him the grace. May all glory be ascribe to Him alone forever more, amen.

 




 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 Encomiums on a great elder statesman, Elder Etim Ebong Akpaetok

 

President General, USD Lagos, Chief Matthew Udoheyop’s testimonies about Akpatok

Today is a very happy day, it is the day one of us, a very committed, strong and pioneer member of USD Lagos, in the person of Elder Akpaetok is being send forth. He is always all out to do what you instructed him to do, a loyal patriotic and very supportive. We are happy to send him forth in a dignify manner so that every other members will know their advantage of working in a community they belong to honestly, efficiently and passionately. So, we thank God and wish him all the best in his future endeavours. God will continue to protect him and members of his family.

And again, I will say that, what has happened today is a lesson to every member that they should always be ready to sacrifice whatever they have to make sure that the group is successful because without the success of the group, we wouldn’t be able to do what we are doing here today, so for that reason, let every member be encouraged and be ready at any point in time to do the needful.

 Vice President, USD Lagos, Akparawa Nseobot William has this to say about Akpaetok...

Akpaetok is a very dedicated member of Uyo Senatorial District, Lagos chapter, right from the time the association was formed, he has been so consistent, dedicated and supportive not minding his age, and he is always punctual at the meetings. Akpaetok is the man who composed the USD Lagos anthem; which is a huge contribution on his part as a member of this association, he will forever be remembered for it. 

It is a great joy for me to see God taking him back to his motherland hale and hearty and I pray that God will continue to guide and protect him.

I am happy to witness and participate in his send forth ceremony.

I pray that God also give us the same grace which He has given to him, that after our assignment here in the foreign land, we’ll return home with our two legs and not on a stretcher or otherwise in Jesus name, amen.

Secretary General, USD Lagos, Akparawa Uwem Idaha's testimonial about Akpaetok

Elder Akpaetok is a man that USD Lagos will not forget in a haste, he is one of the pioneer members of the association. When we were having challenges as a body, he was one of those who encourages us not to give up, I can remember vividly in those days when I was the acting President of Uyo Senatorial District, it wasn’t easy at all, but Akpaetok was always there to support and to encourage us, he is a great elder statesman. He will never absented himself from meetings, always punctual.

 

Also, it is very pertinent to note that, during the time we were about inaugurating the elected officers, he was the one who composed USD Lagos anthem which we usually sing in every of our meeting days, with that he has written his name on marble as far as USD Lagos is concern.

 

He is a man we cannot easily forget in a hurry. His good works, contributions, his advisory roles, as a father is something any member will like to emulate.

My prayers for him are that, as he is going back, that God should go with him. He is going home with his two hands, two legs, every parts of his body complete, I am believing God that He will see him through, when he gets to his village, God's guiding angels will be with him, people will love him, God will send people that will help and assist him in Jesus name, amen.

And I will like to say this, that any time Uyo Senatorial District Lagos chapter is having activities or programs at home or in Uyo, Akpaetok will be honourably invited to be part of us, he will never find things difficult in his life.

I wish him and his family well in all ramifications of life.








No comments:

Post a Comment