Monday 7 April 2014

Why I abandoned music for broadcasting - A'Ibom-born Cool FM's presenter, Mannie



By JAMES EMMANUEL
jemedia7@gmail.com

Recently, a popular online media (name withheld) carried out a survey; it popped the big question to its millions of ardent followers-who is your favourite radio presenter in Nigeria? Among the many names mentioned by avid radio listeners, the name Mannie ruled the long list.   
“As for me, it’s Mannie of Cool FM. That guy is talented. Whenever I listen to his Good Morning Nigeria show, I’m always amazed and mesmerized by his voice,” one of the respondents wrote.
Entertainment Express went in search of the Akwa Ibom State-born seasoned presenter, whose real name is Emmanuel Essien. Relaxed in his modest apartment, with one of his two kids intermittently interfering in the 50-minutes interview, the amiable broadcaster told the fascinating story of his life.   
Many of your fans don’t know you are married; when did you quit bachelorhood?
I’ve been married for five years; most of my true fans are aware. This is the fifth year-I got married in November 14, 2009. At the moment, I have two kids-a boy and a girl. There is a time for everything, when it’s time for marriage, you don’t wait for money before you get married.
As someone in the limelight, did you find it difficult to settle down?
It’s never easy to do anything-that is just the reality. As for me, getting married was not about facing up with the difficulties; it was all about time…It was my due time. I didn’t have a car when I got married. I was obeying the voice of God. If God says this is the time for you to do anything, just do it. Body wise, it’s wrong for a man to have children when he is old. Medically, there could also be complications. Again, when you know you’ve seen a woman who is a wife material, you can’t afford to let her go.
How were you able to pick one from the many women that must have been around you then?
I’ve always had a choice. I wanted a woman who is very simple, not materialistic; a woman that respects men generally; a woman that has a forgiven heart-the truth is that, most women this days do not have a forgiven heart-sorry to say that. I also wanted a woman who has the capacity to love. Even when we were courting, my wife knew I had some issues-women issues, bad habits-which I no longer have. The fact is that she saw beyond that; she was able to challenge me. She asked me, ‘is this what you want to continue doing? Do you want to keep doing this and how long will you continue? Just let me know so I know what and where I’m going.’ That was the voice of my wife. Any man who hears that will think twice.
What has changed about you since you became a household name?
Nothing! I just got better. I still keep my old friends. I don’t believe it when people say the higher you grow in life the more likely you are to drop old friends. The truth is that, old friends are even the true friends we can have. They are the ones who knew you and remained with you when you were nobody. In terms of lifestyle, yes, my life style has changed. I’m more restricted now; I don’t just go everywhere. I don’t want to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Was broadcasting what you set out to do from the beginning? And how did your path cross with Cool FM?
I never dreamed of being a broadcaster. I had always wanted to be a musician. I always wanted to be able to sing motivationally. That is my core calling-to motivate people with the voice that God gave me. But for a while, it has not been that way for me. I started writing songs when I was just 12 years old. I have a book of songs, containing over hundred songs. My wife laminated it because the book was becoming useless. It’s not as if I have not tried pushing it out-I’ve begun to understand that one can’t serve two masters at a time. Music itself is a spirit. I have gone through many competitions-Project Fame, Benson and Hedges, West Africa Idol, among others. Just because I didn’t make it through in those competitions, I decided to search myself-what really am I supposed to do? It was at that period I started marketing myself, I started making jingles and commercials. I have done lots of that for banks, multinationals, including MTN, FCMB, Coca Cola, and many others. I stopped doing that at a point when I was interviewed by Cool FM. I was invited for the interview, when I returned from Project Fame. I was interviewed and they discovered I had talents…This was in late 2004. I was a bunch of many things-I could sing, write music, scripts, etc. That was how I was employed as a producer in Cool FM. I did that for about a year, before my head of production put me up in a night show, to fill a gap. Shortly after that, somebody was late to read the news and I was asked to read. That was how it all started. From reading news I began to do other stuffs and here I’m today!

Mannie in the studio with a colleague
You’ve remained in the top for many years, what is the secret?
I don’t sound like anybody and I don’t try to sound like anybody. The truth is that, we need to stop being uptight or rigid when it comes to broadcasting.  When you are free, you bring out the best in you. Don’t be fake, don’t try to sound like somebody else. I think that has been working for me.
What is the greatest thing broadcasting has done for you?
I’ve married like two people on radio; I’ve united families that were lost; I’ve brought out deep confessions from people and I’ve also brought out the best of love from people. The truth is that, being able to speak to people, to change lives is the greatest gift. Being in a position to change life is a great opportunity and I’m grateful to God for that.
Considering the height you’ve attained in the industry; do you still have unrealized dreams?
Yes, I do. Like I told you, I had always wanted to be a musician (laughs). I’m trying to combine a bit of both. Already, I’ve learned from the masters that one cannot be a master of two things. It’s difficult-all over the world. You cannot be a Tuface and also be something else-Tuface can’t be the best actor. You can be multitalented, but you have to be a jack of one. I made up my mind that I will take time and compile all my music works and with time I will release them as a series of album. I will release them to the market, not with the aim of making profit. Let it be that I’ve realized my dream. Already, I have some of my songs online. My music is not local.
Tell us your genre of music?
I do pop! I’m a pop artiste with a huge motivational calling. All my songs motivate.
So when likely are you dropping the album?
I’m just waiting for the right time. I’m looking at sometimes after elections (laughs). I want to wait till after the elections (laughs) I pray we are still together as a nation.
Mannie

What does success mean to you?
Success means being able to sleep without worries and wake successfully; eat three times a day; carry your smiling baby without hunger; being able to travel on holidays with your family-that is success what success means to me and you don’t have to be a billionaire before you can do all that.
Were you born with a silver spoon?
Yes! Lots of people don’t understand what silver spoon means in this country-I don’t know why. My father was a principal of an institution; he was a professor and an associate lecturer in London for a while. So to an extent, I guess I was born with a silver spoon. But when the realities of time hit my father, things fell apart-he lost everything he had worked for after being duped. He is late now. My mum is a lecturer in the University of Calabar. She is a professor of Economics. I looked like a rascal when I was growing up -I didn’t look promising. I would just wake up in the morning and sit somewhere and start writing songs-it was strange to some people.
Tell us about your academic background
I went to music school in Calabar after which I did some other training. I graduated in 2003 from the University of Calabar with a degree in Linguistic-Scientific study of languages. So I know how to write. I did a little bit of training in London in Recording Sciences after my graduation. I also did broadcasting courses in Kenya.      
Which state is Mannie from?
I’m from Akwa Ibom State-people don’t believe me when I say so.
Having travelled round the world, what has life taught you over the years?
I’ve changed a lot in my belief. I believe so much in God-in fact I always try to preach whenever an opportunity to do that comes up. I’ve seen pains and afflictions in my life times. This made me conclude and start looking at life and issues from a different perspective. I’ve realized why I shouldn’t make trouble with anyone; rather, I use reasons to understand human beings. I go to church for salvation…I see salvation as the greatest goal in life. One has to embrace realities at some points in life. There was time I was broadcasting in order to survive; at a point I began to broadcasting because I want people to learn. Forget about the glitz and glamour, the reality is that we shall all die! How do we die? Would you die in faith? Or faithless? When we truly understand life, lots of our problems would have been solved. We were not made for ourselves; we were made to praise the creator.  These are my values-they are deep.
What time does your programme come up on air?
My programme comes up 5am to 10am on Cool FM 96.9 My holy hour is between 5am and 6am. Most times I face lots of forces, but God’s grace has always been sufficient.
What do you think is the way forward for radio broadcasting in Nigeria?
In Nigeria, people are too busy duplicating formats. People just open radio stations because they have money and the wherewithal to do so. The sooner we realise that radio is about life and it’s the greatest weapon to use in making or destroying a nation, the better for the industry.
Mannie on duty


Culled: Entertainment Express

No comments:

Post a Comment