Monday 11 November 2013

Why I produce Ibibio movies – Emem Isong

Emem Isong


•I’ve no hands in Monalisa’s crashed marriage


Leading female film producer Emem Isong is unarguably one of the most consistent and respected names in Nollywood when it comes to quality movies.
Since her arrival over a decade ago, Isong has remained behind the cameras, thus leaving her works to speak for her.
 In this interview with Entertainment Express at her Surulere, Lagos office, the proud and single mother of one revealed the secrets of her staying power in Nollywood.
The Akwa-Ibom State-born ex banker also spoke on her plans for marriage, why she’s still single, new projects and other issues within the entertainment industry.

 How has the year been for you?
It’s been great; I just started shooting my work for the year. But I have a lot of films that are due for release.
How has it been for you being a female producer?
There are challenges here and there, nothing major that I haven’t seen. At least I have been on it for over 15 years now, it’s not that easy, but at least we meet every channel.
How old is your Academy?
We are in our fourth year now, it’s okay, not too great but we expected it. We know it would take about four, five years before we started bringing changes and results in Lagos, but it flows. We are trying.
What could be done to help the movie sector reach its peak?
Funding, we need money from government. When I said flow that simply means we are running the (Academy) from our pocket, running the Academy is not really easy at all. There is nothing really coming in, even the people that we have, what they pay is not enough to run the Academy.  
There was a certain amount of money given to the industry, by the government?
That was probably what I heard but I haven’t received any money from anyone.  Everything that I have done has been from my own funding.
Would you rather say the money is going through the wrong hands?
I wouldn’t want to say, all I can say is that I haven’t received any money.
What was your best moment as a producer?
I think it was when my movie paid a lot of money. The movie was entitled ‘Emotional Crack’. It was some kind of breakthrough for me, even though the money did not really enter my pocket because as at that time, I was working with somebody.  I worked with Remmy Jez, Rob Emeka Eze for seven years, before I started producing fully my own movies.
My breakthrough movie was Emotional Crack, It did very well in the market, and that was the same movie that took me outside this country for the first time.
Do you have any regret as a filmmaker?
No? If I had the chance I will do it all over again. It is all about passion for me. I am not concerned about the money. If I want to look at the money, I stick to the banking sector where I was before. Maybe I would have been a lot richer than I am right now. But I am happy with what I am doing because it’s my passion.
Did you have this fear of the unknown when you quit banking?
I was scared, who wouldn’t be? But for me, everything is about passion. If I am passionate about something, I really don’t care about anything else. If I do that thing I am passionate about, I will be satisfied. 
It was about happiness and job satisfaction. I don’t want to wake up in the morning and not feel like going to work. That is why I decided to do what I enjoy doing so that whether the money comes or not, I am happy.
What interests you most in Nollywood?
I have always wanted to be in the entertainment industry. I knew right from when I was a kid because I was hooked on T.V and that made me want to read Theatre Arts at the university, which was close to what entertainment was at that time. I would say it’s just passion for the job.
And when I came out of the university I worked in a bank briefly, before moving into the entertainment world.
You also do movies in Ibibio language, is there a particular reason?
First and foremost, I want to promote my culture and preserve my language because with all the civilization, a lot of kids do not speak their languages and if we continue in this manner, everything will be extinct. I believe that with language movies, we will be able to show our history to the young people. That is why I am into language movies.
I love my culture, I love my language and I have promised myself that I must do one language movie a year.
The reception has been good. The support is not much from people from my place but they buy the films and that is good for me. I wish we had more investors from that area but sad to say there is none.
And you think you are fulfilled with it?
For now yes! I am a fulfilled woman.
As a busy filmmaker how do you relax?
I love reading and I like spending time with my family. I love reading a lot so if I have a good book in my house I read.
How does your young son cope in your absence?
He has come to accept the fact that he has a hustling mother, even when I was pregnant I travelled with him, and as soon as he was like three months I went back to work. Whenever I can, I try to take him with me to movie locations.
Are there plans for him to hit the movies soon?
If that is what he wants, why not?  There was actually a time when I needed a baby in one of my movies and I needed a child of three months so I used him. If that is what he wants in life that’s not a problem at all.
Are there no plans for marriage?
I would want to get married someday. Who wouldn’t want to get married? But only when it is God’s time.
Are you in any relationship?
Yes I am in a very happy relationship right now.
And would you like to disclose the name of the man in your life?
No it is private, but when it’s time, I will let you know.
Do you really have a hand in Monalisa’s crashed marriage?
I heard the rumour myself. The fact that she is my friend does not mean I am involved in their marriage breakup. Monalisa was and is still my friend; I had nothing to do with it so I don’t know why my name was involved.
When people say that I wonder if it is not sheer stupidity, isn’t that sheer stupidity because how is it possible for one human being to make another do what he or she doesn’t want to do? It’s crazy.
Sorry to say it but those who thought that I had anything to do with Monalisa leaving her husband, are very myopic and stupid. 
When something happens why point fingers at others? You look within yourself and find out what and where the problem is, instead of putting the blame on people. We all have our issues and we don’t look for other people to blame.
It was laughable to me. I wasn’t the only one accused, other actresses were being accused and I think it was very stupid and any responsible person reading that should dismiss it because it is stupid.
Do you have any regret being a single mother?
I am very proud to be a mother, nobody planned on being a single mother, I tried not to regret whatever happened, because everything happens for a reason and purpose.
Are there plans of going back to your son’s father?
I will not make any comment on that.
What has life taught you?
Live and let’s live.
 What won’t you be caught wearing?
I wear what I am comfortable with, I don’t do too much make-up, too much jewelry, and my dressing is very simple. If I have my way I will just be wearing jean and a top.

No comments:

Post a Comment