Thursday 26 September 2013

My ordeal in kidnappers' den –Eno Umoren


Seven days after suspected kidnappers abducted Mrs. Eno Umoren, an accountant with Ibom Power Company Limited, security operatives in Akwa Ibom State have rescued her.
  Umoren was captured while returning from church in front of her house.


She narrated her ordeal to journalists at the Nigerian Navy Base, NNS Jubilee in Ikot Abasi.
  She said: “I was returning from the church on Saturday last week when I was abducted in front of my house and driven to an unknown destination.
 “My face was covered. I didn’t see anybody but I heard voices. That was what happened. The kidnappers had been making calls and this morning, I was rescued and brought here. I stayed in the kidnappers’ den for one week.”
   Her husband, Mr. Akan Umoren, told journalists that after the kidnap, the kidnappers called and asked for a ransom of N30 million, adding however, that the family had to plead with them for N25 million.
  The Commander of the Nigerian Navy in Ikot Abasi, NN Jubilee, Commodore Isaac Ogbole, said Mrs. Umoren’s release was made possible through the synergy with other security operatives in the state.
 He added that no arrest was made as all the kidnappers had escaped when security operatives stormed their hideouts to rescue the victim.
 “When I took over the Command, the Chief of Naval Staff mandated all the commanders to sign a Performance Guidance Contract, where he emphatically mentioned that we must ensure that there was no criminality of any kind, be it inland, waterfront and we must also cooperate with our other security agents to make sure that this strategy must be delivered.”
  The Chairman of Ikot Abasi Local Council, Ufot UdoInyang, commended the efforts of the security operatives in ensuring the release of the victim unharmed.
 “I am very grateful to the security agencies. When I heard about the abduction of this woman, I was sad. This is the first time we have this kind of incident. I have been advising Ikot  Abasi youths  to shun criminality.”

No comments:

Post a Comment